There are many websites that will use complex words and medical terminology to try to explain to you what insomnia is, but to put it very simply, insomnia means that you have trouble falling, getting or staying asleep. If you are currently suffering from insomnia you are not alone. It is estimated that 30-50% of the population suffers from insomnia. This is a worldwide issue and with age the risk of insomnia increases. Depending on the individual, this condition can be long term or short term. Below are the common causes of insomnia.
COMMON CAUSES OF INSOMNIA
(Links are clickable for more info)
- CAFFEINE CONSUMPTION
- PSYCHIATRIC PROBLEMS
- DRAMATIC CHANGE IN LIFE (I.E. HAVING A CHILD)
- EATING LATE
- LEARNED BEHAVIOR "PARENTS STAYING UP LATE"
Sleep is a vital part to staying healthy. Our bodies, especially the brain, use this time to rest and regenerate. The human brain is responsible for controlling our entire body. Without the proper sleep our bodies are unable to function properly. In fact, if you skip one day of sleep it can take an extremely long time for your body to recover from that ONE day. It is impossible to catch up on sleep. If you are continuously not getting the appropriate sleep it can be potentially harmful to your health. Not getting the proper amount of sleep can increase your risk for the following:
- HEART DISEASE
- HEART ATTACK
- HEART FAILURE
- HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE
- IRREGULAR HEART BEAT
- LACK OF SEX DRIVE
- SEEMINGLY NOT AS SMART
- QUICKENS THE AGING PROCESS PHYSICALLY
Many people are unaware of what a lack of sleep can do to them. On average an adult should have around 8 hours of sleep at night. If you are having trouble sleeping there are several things you can try.
- DECREASE YOUR CAFFEINE INTAKE
- EAT DINNER EARLIER
- FIND A TIME TO RELAX BEFORE SLEEPING, I.E. READ A BOOK.
- GO TO SLEEP AT THE SAME TIME EVERY NIGHT
- TRY METHODS TO REDUCE YOUR STRESS LEVELS
- DECREASE DAYTIME NAPS
These are a just a few tips. If you continue to exhibit signs of insomnia, talk to your doctor. It is always good to rule out other medical problems. Your doctor will give you the appropriate medical suggestions. Just remember, not getting sleep should always be taken seriously.
What is insomnia?
Written By: Te-Shandra Haskett, MBA
- NATIONAL SLEEP FOUNDATION
- WHAT IS INSOMNIA?
- TIPS TO A GOOD NIGHT'S SLEEP!
- CAUSES OF INSOMNIA
- TREATMENT OF INSOMNIA
- LACK OF SLEEP AND YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM
- 6 MAJOR HEALTH PROBLEMS CAUSED FROM LACK OF SLEEP
- BABY SLEEP REQUIREMENTS
- WOMEN'S HEALTH. THE IMPORTANCE OF AN ANNUAL CHECK-UP!
- HOW TO GET HEALTH CARE WHILE UNINSURED, USA
- ABOUT CERVICAL CANCER! WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW!
- THE DANGERS OF SMOKING!
- CAN WEARING THE WRONG BRA CAUSE HEALTH CONCERNS?
- BREAST CANCER INTERNATIONAL AWARENESS!
- CANCER TREATMENT & HAIRLOSS! WHERE TO FIND FREE WIGS!
- VISIT OUR HEALTH SECTION FOR MORE HEALTH RELATED QUESTIONS
FOR ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS:
“The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction