A pedophile is a person who is sexually attracted to young prepubescent children. According to recent studies a pedophile must be a certain age over the child they are preying on, at least 5 years. This indicates that a 16 year old can be classified as a pedophile. A pedophile can be old, young, rich, poor male or female. However, most pedophiles are at least 30 years old, single, and have a very questionable past. It is not unusual to spot them engaging in child like behaviors and activities associated with children. They have a strong desire to work around their victims and they often have a target child selected before they make a move. Depending on the culprit, the child can be older or younger, however, most of them generally pick out very shy, handicapped or withdrawn children. Children who exhibit low-self esteem are individuals who can quickly fall prey to a pedophile because they are seeking attention at any cost. This is why it is important for parents to recognize the behaviors of their children and show them unconditional love. The victim will not only start to hang around the pedophile but they can also develop strong feelings and begin to defend the person who is preying on them. At any given moment a pedophile can have several children they are stalking and they usually deeply deny that what they are doing is wrong. Now, with the internet being utilized, this type of victimization is easier then ever.
Being attracted to someone at such as young age is considered having a psychiatric disorder. However, the problem generally does not end there. An individual who is attracted to young children will often seek inappropriate sexual relationships with their victims. They will do whatever it takes to keep a strong attachment to a child, including becoming close friends with the parents of the young child. This is primarily the reason why parents do not have any idea that there is something inappropriate going on between their child and their predator. If the parent finds out, they can start to feel guilty and wonder why they were not able to see what was right underneath their nose.
- If you are approached by an older person who is giving you too many compliments and desires to engage in sexual behavior with you, this is wrong and disrespectful towards you. As much as you believe that you know a lot about this world as a teenager, you are just not equipped to handle adult issues and there is nothing wrong with that. Any person who actively seeks to have a relationship with an underage child has a psychiatric problem and does not love you. Unfortunately they prey on the innocence and vulnerability that you possess. Remember that if you meet someone on the internet, YOU DO NOT KNOW THEM. Please report this behavior to another trusted adult or to an authority figure. Generally, the person who is in an inappropriate relationship with you will try to stop you from reporting them if they know that you are trying to do so. It is best to NEVER notify your predator of what you are planning to do. However, regardless of how you may feel, this type of person needs to be stopped before he or she does more mental or emotional harm to you or someone else.
TIPS FOR PARENTS:
- Always be careful of who you allow around your children. As a parent you hold the responsibility to protect your child under any circumstances. Be involved with your child and watch what they are doing on the internet. In many cases where this issue occurs, parents are blind to what is going under their own roof. Sadly, this is because it is someone who has worked to gain your trust as well. In addition, an astronomical rate of pedophile offenders are actually family members, close friends or someone you know. If you get caught up in this situation, try not to focus on blaming yourself. Instead, focus on getting your child away from the predator and afterwards immediate psychiatric help for you and your child.
TIPS FOR THE PEDOPHILE:
- Engaging in inappropriate relationships with ANY child is wrong. Children have not completely developed mentally, and to take advantage of this is cruel and child abuse. If you find that you are compelled to seek underage individuals, please seek help and stop the cycle of abuse.
- FBI-SEX OFFENDERS REGISTRY
- REPORT A SEX OFFENDER FACEBOOK
- HOW TO SPOT A PEDOPHILE
- MENTAL HEALTH, WHAT IS A PEDOPHIA, FAQ?
- PLEASE HELP STOP HUMAN TRAFFICKING!
What is sex offender registry?
An interview with a "Sex Offender"
Written By: Te-Shandra Haskett, MBA
"Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these (Matthew 19:14)."