WHAT IS SUICIDE?
- Suicide is the act of taking your own life.
WHY DO PEOPLE COMMIT SUICIDE?
- Each individual who succeeds or attempts to commit suicide are different. As a result, reasons for wanting to take their life are generally not the same. Some common reasons include:
- Depression/Mental Illness.
- Being bullied or picked on.
- Certain medications can mess with the brain serotonins to make a person more suicidal.
- Low self-esteem or lack of self-worth.
- Feeling sick or in immense pain.
- To help their family with living expenses after the person has reached their suicide clause on their life insurance.
- Having a history of rape, incest or sexual abuse.
- If you have a concern for someone who you feel may be suicidal, ALWAYS take them seriously. No matter how many times they have said it and they are still alive, the fact remains the same. This person has suicide on their mind. This is NOT healthy and needs to be handled yesterday. Just because your loved one has not committed suicide in the 10 years they have been threatening, does not mean they will not do it. On a more positive note, an individual who is constantly revealing to you that he or she wants to die, is generally crying out for help, but not for attention, but more because deep down inside, they want to live, they just need someone to help them realize that their life is worth living.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future
ANYONE WHO COMMITS SUICIDE IS WEAK?
- No. People who commit suicide feel like their is no other options in life. Their minds are skewed and somehow they have gotten into the zone that no one cares about them, so why should they care about them. This is why it is extremely important to give compliments and show others that you care about them. It is very easy to get caught up in our own personal affairs to the point that we forget that there is a world full of people who are hurting and share our own personal private pain.
- Sometimes people can desire not to live if they are in a situation where they are extremely ill. They may feel like a burden to the family and in their mind, they would be committing suicide as a method to increase their families happiness.
HOW CAN I TELL IF A LOVED ONE IS SUICIDAL?
- There are several indications that a loved one (or yourself) is headed down suicide lane. Recognizing the signs is extremely important. It may just save a life....
- Constantly talking about death.
- Sad, uncontrollable crying.
- Increase/Decrease in appetite.
- Mentions off handedly that their life is not worth living.
- Stop doing the things that they enjoyed.
- Feelings of guilt.
- Giving away personal items.
- Loss of Concentration.
- Drug or Alcohol abuse.
HOW DO I HELP?
IS IT MY FAULT IF
SOMEONE COMMITS SUICIDE?
- WHAT IS SUICIDE, PSYCH CENTRAL
- DEPRESSION SCREENING TEST
- THE LONELINESS QUIZ
- ABOUT TEEN SUICIDE
- LIST OF COUNTRIES BY SUICIDE RATE
- SUICIDE STATISTICS
- BULLYING AND SUICIDE STATISTICS
- FACTS ON BULLYING
- SUICIDE AFTER TEACHER'S SEXUAL ABUSE!
INTERNATIONAL SUICIDE HOTLINES
Suicide Hotlines ** 1-800-Suicide ** Us & International
"No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us (Romans 8:37)."
Written By: Te-Shandra Haskett, MBA